Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blog Post #10 Identity/Self

My roles during an average week include, but are not limited to:
Leader of a design team
Church goer
Sister
Aunt
Daughter
Friend
Cousin- my extended family is all out of state, so I spend a considerable amount of time trying to engage in conversation with them to keep current.  I am one of 20 cousins, so it stays busy!
Personal assistant
Nanny
Student


While it is necessary to shift from one role to another (I wouldn't behave the same in my role as a leader as I would in my role as a daughter), I am consistent in each one.  It's a goal of mine to offer stability and consistency to the people in my life and on my team.  In the past, I have found it very unsettling to be friends with inconsistent people, so I make concerted efforts in making myself stable.  While not always easy, the work is worthwhile because other people can be at ease when they are with me.

Technology plays a massive part in many of the identities that I assume.  Without my phone and the internet, I wouldn't be able to talk to my cousins or my dad, who live in the Boston area.  Additionally, without the internet, being a diligent student, personal assistant and designer would be infinitely more difficult.  In all honesty, I hardly remember a time without the internet, aside from a vague memory of coloring in my mom's encyclopedias. My life is framed by the expanse of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment